We’re in the midst of winter, when precipitation can knock out heat or power, sometimes for several days.
Make sure you are prepared, no matter what this winter season may hold, by following these simple tips in your home:
- Insulate pipes with insulation or newspapers and plastic and allow faucets to drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing. Running water, even at a trickle, helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Know how to shut off water valves in case a pipe bursts.
- Keep fire extinguishers on hand and make sure everyone in the house knows how to use them. House fires pose an additional risk, as more people turn to alternate heating sources without taking the necessary safety precautions.
- Use caution with electric space heaters. Choose heaters with automatic shut-off switches and non-glowing elements. And never place a space heater on top of furniture or near water.
- Prevent ice dams by periodically inspecting the roof drainage system for proper flow, including drains, gutters and down spouts.
- Insulate walls and attics, check caulking and weather-stripping around doors and windows, install storm doors or windows and cover windows with plastic.
If your home is damaged as a result of winter weather, ServiceMaster TEAM is here to return your lives to normal as quickly as possible. Our restoration experts are ready to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. If you have fire or water damage in your home this winter, give us a call!