Tornado season starts in spring and goes through early summer. Even though tornado season is technically coming to an end, they can still happen at any time. Learn the warning signs, what to do before and during a tornado in Fort Worth, Texas. The best way to prevent tornado damage is to prepare before it happens.
- Heavy rain followed by a wind shift or extreme calm.
- Powerful cloud rotation.
- Sounds of thunder that persist and don’t fade.
- Dust and debris flying in a circular motion.
- Flashes of light close to the ground during a thunderstorm. They can range from blue-green to white. This sign may mean that power lines are breaking due to high winds or a possible tornado.
Tornados can happen in many areas of the US. However, they are most common in tornado alley. This area roughly includes the Midwest, Southern Plains and Gulf Coast. Even though tornados are most common in this area, they can still happen in other states. Tornados are made up of a spinning column of air that grows from the clouds of a thunderstorm and stretches to the ground. Sometimes, it’s difficult to see a tornado. According to the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL), “Because wind is invisible, it is hard to see a tornado unless it forms a condensation funnel made up of water droplets, dust and debris.” In other words, you can’t always rely on visible signs as a tornado warning.
- Safety Plan: Meet with your family to create an emergency plan that contains a safe meeting place, evacuation routes and the location of your emergency kit.
- Emergency Kit: Create an emergency kit with supplies that you need to survive a few days. This should include food, water and a battery-operated radio.
- Put Away Outside Debris: Items like gardening tools or outdoor furniture can easily get swept away by high winds and become extremely dangerous. Help protect your property and the buildings around you by putting these items away before a tornado occurs.
- Emergency Alerts: Sign up for your areas emergency alert system. You’ll be warned about the first signs of a tornado and receive updates throughout the severe weather.
During a tornado, you should find the best shelter possible. This is indoors either in a basement or interior room on the lowest level of a building. Inside a permanent building is your best option if you don’t have access to a basement. Don’t take shelter under a bridge or overpass. Avoid cars and manufactured homes. You won’t be able to out drive a tornado.
ServiceMaster TEAM in Fort Worth, Texas is your local damage restoration expert. We’re committed to superior results and courteous customer service. Our team’s professionalism is demonstrated by our timely services and high-quality equipment. Contact us 24/7 for emergency restoration services. If you experience tornado damage, our team can help. We’ll do the job correctly the first time or provide a do-over, no questions asked.
Photo by: istockphoto.com/mdesigner125