Water damage is one of the most catastrophic things that can happen to your home or property. Failure to prepare your property or left unaddressed, water damage clean-up can lead to serious health and welfare issues, including:
- Dangerous black mold
- Electrocution & electrical shorts
- Severe structural damage
- Pest infestation
- And more
Water damage can be absolutely catastrophic to your home if left unaddressed. Taking the time during the spring to assess your home and prepare for spring precipitation is important to protect your home for months to come.
At ServiceMaster TEAM, we’ve compiled a list of maintenance tips of every feature of your home to get it ready for spring, avoid costly water damage, and give you the peace of mind you deserve.
Perform Regular Gutter Maintenance
- Clean all debris, such as sticks and leaves, that block the easy flow of water down the drainpipes
- Install gutter guards to save the constant hassle of cleaning out debris.
- Hose down gutters with a light cleaning agent to remove any debris and discourage mold growth.
- Inspect the gutters for damage, leaks, and holes. Even a minor dent can lead to blockages that are not easy to fix.
- Angle the gutters’ downspouts away from your home’s foundation and towards your home’s storm drains. Pay attention to elevation so standing water doesn’t accumulate near your home.
- Replace the filters for all of your HVAC units every three to six months.
- Pay attention to your utility bills. If you notice higher than normal electrical bills, your HVAC units may be drawing more power to make up for their poor performance.
- If you discover significant blockage of dust, mold, or debris, you should hire a professional cleaning service to address this problem before it becomes a larger issue.
- Clean the vents around your home and remove any furniture that blocks an easy flow. This includes AC units, laundry vents, soffits, and more. Substandard ventilation can lead to moisture being trapped in the vents, providing the perfect environment for mold growth to be pumped throughout your home.
Seal All Windows & Doors
- Check for air leakage in your home around the doors and windows throughout your home. If you feel a slight temperature drop or a draft, it’s likely that you have a leak around the frame of the door or window.
- To address these problems, consider using caulk on the interior and exterior of the doors and windows to seal off any potential gaps.
Check Your Roof
- Your home’s roof is likely to spring a leak. Look for signs of roof damage including discoloration, fallen slats, animal nests, rot, and mold growth.
- Because the roof prevents the greatest challenge to replace for most homeowners, consider calling a roofing company to do a full assessment.
- If you have access to an attic or the upper floors, you can seal any leaks from the interior until you have the roof repaired.
Inspect the Deck
- If your home has decking, look for signs of water damage. This includes warped boards, signs of rot, discoloration, passing fire station, and more. Moisture and prolonged exposure to adverse weather conditions can lead to structural damage that may put your family at risk of injury.
- Clean off dirt and debris using a non-abrasive brush with gentle wood cleaner to scrub off any stuck-on grime.
- After the wood cleaner has dried and there’s no debris left on the decking, apply an outdoor sealant
Testing Your Sump Pump
- If your home has a sump pump, make sure to clear out any accumulated debris from the sump pit. Once clear, inspect the sump pump for any signs of damage. If it looks clear, give it a test by dumping at least five gallons of water into it. If the water isn’t removed as it should be, chances are that you have a clog. In this case, you may want to have a professional make any adjustments and repairs.
Professional Water Damage Clean-Up by ServiceMaster TEAM
ServiceMaster TEAM is your local water damage clean-up expert in the Dallas, TX metropolitan area. If you have experienced water damage or need professional water damage clean-up services, our team of experienced technicians offer a wide range of assistance for residential and commercial properties. If you encounter water damage from flooding, mold growth, storms, and more, we can assess your property and work with your schedule to restore your property back to normal.
We are available 24/7 for emergency services when your property and health are at stake. Contact ServiceMaster TEAM for all your water damage needs and start enjoying peace of mind today!