Stay Safe This Holiday Season
The holiday season is a busy time of year. A blur of decorations, dinner parties and heating devices create the perfect storm for a home fire. It’s not easy to stay on top of your fire safety as guests fill up your home and your routine is thrown out the window. The key is to create fire safety habits before your next holiday party. Make sure that you communicate your holiday fire safety protocol with family and house guests to ensure that everyone is on the same page. We hope that the following tips help you enjoy a happy and safe holiday season. ServiceMaster TEAM is your fire damage restoration expert in Fort Worth, TX.
- Burn candles on a flat, open surface away from any other decorations.
- If possible, choose battery-operated candles over open flame especially if you have children or pets.
- Choose string lights that are approved by an accredited testing lab.
- Check light strands for broken bulbs or frayed cords before you use them.
- Avoid overloading your outlets by not connecting too many light strands together.
- Keep decorations away from your kitchen, heaters and fireplaces.
- Keep exits clear from decorations, presents or your Christmas tree.
- Test your smoke alarms and change batteries before you throw a holiday party.
- Place lighters and matches in a locked drawer away from children.
- Avoid overcrowding. Keep a clear pathway in hallways and throughout the entertaining space. This not only allows guests to move comfortably within the gathering, but it also ensures that everyone can evacuate in case of a fire disaster.
- Stay in the kitchen while cooking on the stovetop.
- Check on food in the oven on a regular basis.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from your stove or oven.
- It’s always a good idea to practice the recipes you plan to cook ahead of time.
- Start with a clean oven. Stuck on grease and food residue can catch on fire in a hot oven.
- Select a hydrated tree. The needles shouldn’t fall off easily when you touch the branch.
- Water your tree on a daily basis.
- Keep your tree away from heaters, fireplaces and candles.
- Get rid of the Christmas tree as soon as it dries out. A dried-out Christmas tree is a big fire hazard.
- Avoid leaving your dried-out tree in your yard, against your home or in your garage.
ServiceMaster TEAM in Fort Worth, Texas is your local water and fire damage, restoration expert. We hope that the tips above help you enjoy a wonderful holiday season. Our team is committed to superior results and courteous customer service all year long. Rely on our experts to walk you through the entire restoration process, even communicating directly with your insurance provider. Our team’s professionalism is demonstrated by our timely services and high-quality equipment. Contact us 24/7 for emergency restoration services. If you experience a disaster, our team can help. We’ll do the job correctly the first time or provide a do-over, no questions asked.
Photo by: Lum3n.com