April showers bring May flowers, or so the saying goes.
Unfortunately, heavy rains and frequent showers can result in flooding—causing thousands of dollars worth of damage to your home and disrupting your life.
If your home is located in a flood-prone area, taking a few simple steps helps to minimize the damage from flooding:
- Fix roof leaks and cracks in the foundation immediately.
- Regularly clear gutters and drains so they convey water away from the home.
- Invest in your home’s protection with a battery-powered sump pump to extract water from your home.
- Put stored items on metal shelving or in plastic tubs to protect them from flooding, and move expensive pieces to an upper level where they are out of reach for floodwaters.
- Install check valves on sewer or septic lines so wastewater is only able to flow in one direction—away from the home.
If you do experience water damage from flooding, ServiceMaster TEAM is available 24/7/365 to help get you back on your feet quickly with:
- Water damage restoration
- Water extraction, drying, and dehumidification
- Document drying and recovery
- Carpet, upholstery, and rug cleaning